Tuesday 29 March 2016

Sneak Preview: The Modest Chapter’ by designer ‘AQDUS’ at the Lakme Fashion Week S/R’16

Gen-Next designer Aqdus Saleem unveils her collection -The Modest Chapter during the Lakme Fashion Week this season. Her collection embraces two dynamic elements: Islamic ethnic wear and contemporary fashion trends to create a fusion that projects the best of both. The eternal appeal thus created has no geographical boundaries but exudes an international appeal.

The flowing lines, easy fittings and creative patterns have a global appeal. After intensive research and groundwork she has developed a clear vision of the attire that modern Muslim women or women living and working in a conservative milieu would require for their daily dressing as well as that for special occasions. Excessive layering remains the key inspiration to build up the collection for modern liberated and empowered women.

The collection uses Cotton lawn, Cotton linen & Organza with thread embroidery using shades like white and Sahara Beige. Aqdus Saleem has always endeavoured to create and maintain a delicate balance between tradition and modernity. Her deep-rooted belief in Islamic culture and values were often questioned by her creativity, while the rich Islamic art fascinated her endlessly.

Designer Aqdus Saleem says, “When I joined Pearl Academy I was encouraged to think independently and without fear; I learnt to question old norms and find new solutions. I also learnt how to work within strict parameters. I took inspiration from Middle East. My research exposed me to various nuances of tradition and made me understand them thoroughly. I basically want to break the stereotype image. I wanted to make people understand that modest wear does not restrict you to look beautiful. I am not making Abayas, I am just trying to create something which covers your body beautifully.”

No comments:

Post a Comment